How to apply for an 870 visa?
The process of applying for a contributory parent visa involves both the applicant’s and the sponsor’s responsibility.
Step 1: Your child applies for a visa 870 sponsorship
Your child needs to apply for a sponsorship online via ImmiAccount. She/he must attach the following documents to the application:
- Residence and Citizenship documents (her/his passport, citizenship certificate (or valid visa), and evidence that he/she already settled in Australia).
- Relationship documents: to prove the parent/child relationship, your child needs to submit such documents as birth certificate, marriage certificate, adoption certificates and family status certificates.
- Character documents (police certificates for every country where your partner spent for 1 year or more)
- Financial documents: Your child must meet the income test to be eligible to become the sponsor for this visa. He/she, thus, needs to attach the Notice of Assessment issued by the ATO (Australian Taxation Office) for the most recent taxable income.
Step 2: You apply for a Visa 870
You must apply for a visa 870 online, and from outside Australia within 6 months of the Sponsorship approval. You must fill out all forms and submit the below documentation:
- Your identity document: For example, passport, national ID card, etc.
- Sponsorship documents: It means your sponsor needs to apply for a sponsorship before you apply for this visa.
- Character documents: police certificates for every country where you spent 1 year or more.
The case officer starts processing your application only when the first visa instalment fee is paid.
Step 3: You wait for a Visa 870
- You will be asked for organising health examinations and biometrics. The Department of Home Affairs will inform you when you need to organise.
- You can also add family members to your application before your visa outcome is released.
- You must pay the 2nd instalment fee and the Department of Home Affair will send you an invoice.
How much does it cost to apply for an 870 visa?
The cost for applying for a Sponsored Parent Visa (Subclass 870) in Australia can vary based on the length of the visa.
The visa fee will be paid into 2 times called instalments. The first instalment is when you lodge the visa application. The 2nd instalment is when the Department of Home Affairs ask you to do so.