Who can apply for an Australia Student Visa 500?
You need to be at least 6 years old to apply for the Student Visa 500. Plus, you must be registered as a full-time student at a recognized Australian institution for an approved course. Finally, you or your guardian must organize proper welfare arrangements during your stay in Australia if you are under 18.
To be eligible to apply for a Student Visa 500, you generally need to meet the following criteria:
- You must be at least 6 years old to apply for the Student Visa 500. Also, you must:
- Less than 17 years old when you start Year 9
- Less than 18 years old when you start Year 10
- Less than 19 years old when you start Year 11
- Less than 20 years old when you start Year 12
- Enrollment: You must have been accepted into a full-time course of study at a registered education institution in Australia. This can include primary school, secondary school, vocational education and training (VET) courses, higher education (university) courses, English language courses.
- Confirmation of Enrollment (CoE): You must have provided a Confirmation of Enrollment (CoE) from your chosen education institution, which serves as proof that you have been accepted to study there.
If you apply for 2 or more courses as a study package, then you must have submitted the CoEs of all courses.
- Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE): You must prove that you intend to stay in Australia temporarily for the sole purpose of studying and that you plan to return to your home country after completing your studies. You need to provide a GTE statement explaining your intentions to study in Australia and your ties to your home country.
- Sufficient Financial Means: You may need to demonstrate that you have the financial means to cover your tuition fees, living expenses, and other costs while studying in Australia. You may need to provide bank statements or other financial documentation.
- Health Insurance: You are required to maintain Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the entire duration of your stay in Australia.
- English Language Proficiency: Depending on your course and education provider, you may need to provide evidence of your English language proficiency through standardized tests like IELTS, PTE, TOEFL, or other accepted exams.
- Welfare arrangement: If you are under 18 years old when applying for a student visa, then you must have welfare arranged in Australia. You can stay in student accommodation arranged by your institution, homestay or live with your guardian.
- Health and Character Requirements: You must meet certain health and character requirements. This may include medical examinations and police clearances.
Not sure if you are eligible for study in Australia and eligible for a student visa? Contact our team on 07 3003 1899 today for free eligible check and free education consultations.
How to apply for a Student Visa Subclass 500?
Step 1: Prepare the required documentation
You need to gather all required documents. The required documents may vary, depending on your country of originality. However, below is general documentation for a student visa 500.
- Passport: A copy of the identification page of your passport.
- CoE: The Confirmation of Enrollment provided by your educational institution.
- OSHC: Proof of Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) that covers the entire duration of your stay in Australia.
- Financial Documents: Evidence that you have sufficient funds to cover tuition fees, living expenses, and other costs.
- English Proficiency: If required for your course, proof of English language proficiency.
- GTE Statement: A Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) statement explaining your intentions to study in Australia.
- Health and Character Documents: This may include medical examinations and police clearances.
- Passport-sized photos.
- Welfare arrangement: If you are under 18 years old, you need to submit the evidence of welfare arrangement.
If you are applying from outside of Australia, you should apply for a 500 visa 12 weeks before your course begins.
Step 2: Apply online
You must apply online via ImmiAccount on the Australian Department of Home Affairs website.
- Log in to your ImmiAccount and select “New application” to start a Student Visa (Subclass 500) application.
- Fill out the application form accurately.
- Attach the required documents to your online application.
- Pay the application fee.
Step 3: Wait for the visa outcome
- Depending on your nationality and personal circumstances, you may need to provide biometrics as part of the application process.
- The Department of Home Affairs also may require you to complete health examinations after you lodge your visa application.
- If your visa is approved, you will receive a visa grant notification with details of your visa grant number, the expiry dates and visa conditions.
Need help with the visa application? Contact our experienced Migration Agents today!