Skip to main content


The Australian Visitor Visa (subclass 601) is a visa option for individuals who want to visit Australia for a short period, typically for tourism, visiting family and friends, or attending business meetings.

What can you do with a 601 visa? 

The Australian Visitor Visa (subclass 601) is designed for short-term visits to Australia and allows you to engage in specific activities. Here’s what you can do with a Visitor Visa 601:  

  • Tourism: You can take part in any tourism activities, cruise, and holidays.  
  • Visiting family and/or friends  
  • Business Visitor Activities: If your Visitor Visa 601 is for business purposes, you can:  
  • Investigate and enter into a business agreement.  
  • Make general business or employment enquiries.  
  • Take activities as part of an official government visit.  
  • Please note that 601 visa holders are NOT allowed to provide service/goods to person, business or organisation in Australia. They are also NOT allowed to work while holding this visa subclass.   

Who can apply for an Australian 601 visa? 

To be eligible for this visa, you must meet the following criteria:   

  • Eligible Passport: This visa is specifically available to citizens of certain countries. To determine whether your country qualifies for this visa, please visit the Department of Home Affairs website at   
  • Health requirements: You may be required to undertake a health check before you can be granted this visa.   
  • Character requirements: You might be required to provide the police check for every country you spent for 12 months or more.  
  • No debt to Australian Government: If you or your family member have a debt to the Australian Government, you need to pay back or arranged to pay back that debt.  
  • Genuine Visitor:  You must have no intention to overstay your visa or seek permanent residency in Australia.  

Contact our experienced Migration Agents today at 07 3003 1899 or fill out the enquiry form to know if you are eligible for this visa. 

How to apply for a visa 601?  

Step 1: Prepare the required documentation

The application process for this visa is swift and straightforward, requiring minimal documentation. You will primarily need your passport and email address.   

To apply for this visa, you must use the ETA App, which should be downloaded to your mobile phone or computer.  

Step 2: Apply online through Australian ETA App

  • Scan your passport through the App.  
  • Check if all the information is correct.   
  • Take your photo using the App.   
  • Fill out your personal information.   
  • Email verification: You need to open your email to take the verification code.   
  • Make the payment.   
  • Submit the application.   

 Please do not include any passport of your family members as this app is designed for one individual application only. If your family members wish to go with you, they need to apply for another visa 601 through the app.   

Step 3: Wait for the visa outcome

  • In most cases, you will be granted a visa immediately. However, in some cases, there will be a delay of up to 12 hours. If you fill out the incorrect information, or your information is hard to verify, then more time is needed to process your visa.   
  • The Department of Home Affairs also may require you to complete health examinations after you lodge your visa application.    
  • If your visa is approved, you will receive a visa grant notification with details of your visa grant number, the expiry dates and visa conditions.  


How to include family member to the visa 601?

You cannot include your family member to this visa. Each individual applicant needs to submit a separate application via the ETA App.  

How long can I stay in Australia on a Visa 601?

Visa 601 allows for multiple short visits of up to 12 months in Australia; however, each visit can’t exceed 3 months.  

What documents do I need to apply for a 601 visa?

To apply for this visa, all you need is a valid passport, a valid email address and a debit/credit card/PayPal to pay the services fee. 

Can I study on a Visa 601?

Visa 601 allows you to take a short study or training course which is less than 3 months. If you plan to get a qualification in Australia, you should apply for the appropriate student visa. 

Can I work on Visa 601?

No, Visa 601 is primarily for tourism, business meetings, and visiting family or friends. It does not permit employment in Australia.

Can I use Visa 601 for multiple entries into Australia?

Yes, Visa 601 allows for multiple entries during its validity period, making it convenient for multiple short visits.  


Can I extend my Visa 601 while I'm in Australia?

No, you cannot extend Visa 601. If you need to stay longer, you may need to apply for a different type of visa. 

How much does it cost to apply for subclass 601 visa?

The services cost for this visa is very cheap, only AUD20 for each application.   


How can SOL Migration assist you in gaining a subclass 601 visa?

SOL Migration has a strong team of 5 experienced Registered Migration Agents. Our Registered Migration Agents will assess your eligibility and guide you through the process of applying for the visas you require. We will assist you in preparing all the relevant documents for your application. 

Contact us today on 07 3003 1899 or fill out the enquiry form. Our team will contact you within 24 hours at the latest!  

Book a consultation to discuss your visa options

Get in touch with us today and lets us help you with your visa options

Book Now

Need help with the visa application? Contact our experienced Migration Agents today on 07 3003 1899 or fill out the enquiry form.