Skip to main content


The Student Guardian Visa (Subclass 590) is an Australian visa category that enables a parent or legal guardian to reside in Australia with a student who is pursuing their education in the country. This visa is intended to offer support and care to international students who are under the age of 18.

In exceptional cases, such as when students have medical conditions or require additional support, this visa can also be applied for, even if the students are 18 or older. 

What can you do with a Student Guardian Visa?

Support and Care

The primary purpose of this visa is to provide support, accommodation, and general welfare to the international student who is studying in Australia. This includes ensuring their well-being and welfare throughout their period of study. You are allowed to give the care and support for more than one student at the same time.  

Live in Australia

As a holder of this visa, you can live in Australia for the duration of your student’s course. This allows you to be physically present in the country to fulfil your role as a guardian. 

Attend Short Courses

You can also undertake short courses or study for up to three months while in Australia, but you cannot study any course that leads to a formal qualification. This means that you can study English courses in Australia for less than 20 hours per week or other training courses within 3 months.  


You can travel to and from Australia as many times as you wish while your visa is valid. 

How can we help you?

SOL Migration has a strong team of 5 experienced Registered Migration Agents. Our Registered Migration Agents will assess your eligibility and guide you through the process of applying for the visas you require. We will assist you in preparing all the relevant documents for your application. 

Contact us today on 07 3003 1899 or fill out the enquiry form. Our team will contact you within 24 hours at the latest!  

Who can apply ?

To be eligible to apply for this visa, you should typically fall into one of the following categories: 

  • Parent of the student visa holder: Parents of an international student under 18 years of age who is studying in Australia can apply for the Student Guardian Visa. In exceptional circumstances, parents or guardians of students who are 18 or older may also be eligible. 
  • Relatives of the student: In certain exceptional situations, other relatives, can apply for this visa to provide support and care to an international student. For the visa purposes, the “relative” will be defined as:  
  1. Grandparent or step-grandparent  
  2. Sibling or stepsibling  
  3. Uncle, aunt, step ancle, step aunt  
  4. Nephew, niece, step nephew, step niece 
  5. Partner  
  6. Child, stepchild  
  7. The relative must be 21 years old or older, and nominated by the student’s parent or custodian.  
  • Custodians: Individuals who have been approved as a legal custodian for the student can also apply for this visa. 

Requirements to apply ?  

To be considered for a Student Guardian Visa (Subclass 590) in Australia, apart from the relationship requirement (to be a parent, custodian or relative of the student), you also need to meet the following requirements:  

Financial Capacity

You need to demonstrate that you have the financial capacity to cover your living costs and the student’s expenses during their stay in Australia. This includes tuition fees, accommodation, healthcare, and other living expenses. 

Genuine temporary entrant (GTE)

When applying for this visa, you must show that your stay in Australia is temporary only, and your arrival to Australia is necessary for the student visa holder’s welfare.  

Health Insurance

You are required to have adequate health insurance for yourself and any family members who are also applying for the visa. 

Character and Health Requirements

You and your dependent family members must meet specific character and health requirements. You may be asked to provide police clearance certificates and undergo health examinations. 

Welfare arrangements for dependents

If your children aged from 6 to 18 years old do not come to Australia with you, you must ensure welfare arrangements for them. They must live with either another parent/custodian or a relative who is at least 21 years old during the time you stay in Australia.  

Please note that if you have a child who has not turned 6, then you can’t be granted the 590 visa, except for a very special circumstances.  

  • Substantive visa: You can apply for a 590 visa when you are in Australia. However, you are not allowed to lodge the 590-visa application onshore if you are holding one of the following visa subclasses: 426, 403, 995, 771 and 600 (in the Sponsored Family stream or in the Approved Destination Status stream).  

Not sure if you are eligible for a Student Guardian visa? Contact our team on 07 3003 1899 today! 

How to apply for a Visa 590? 

Step 1: Prepare the required documentation

You need to gather all required documents. The required documents may vary, depending on your country of originality. However, below is general documentation for a student visa 500.  

  • Identify document: A copy of the identification page of your passport and your national identify card if you have one. 
  • Form 157N – Student Guardianship arrangement form: 
  • Financial Documents: Evidence that you have sufficient funds to cover your stay and the student visa holder’s education and stay in Australia, which includes tuition fees, living expenses, travels and other costs. 

Alternatively, your spouse or de facto partner can be the financial supporter for you and the student visa holder. If so, he/she must have at least the annual income of AUD84,543 in the 12 months immediately you lodge the visa application. The financial requirements can be complicated and subject to change each year. Contact our Migration Agents today to learn more. 

  • Private Health Insurance: Proof that you have enough health insurance for at least the first 12 months in Australia. This can be the OVHC (Overseas Visitors Health Cover) or another eligible health insurance purchased from Australia or your home country.  
  • GTE Statement: A Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) statement explaining why you need to come to Australia with the student visa holder. If you can’t write in English, then you can write the statement in your own language and attach the certified translated copy.  
  • Character Documents: You need to prove the police clearances from every country where you have spent 12 months or more in the last 10 years since you turned 16 years old.   

Step 2: Apply online

You must apply online via ImmiAccount on the Australian Department of Home Affairs website. 

  • Log in to your ImmiAccount and select “New application” to start a Student Visa (Subclass 590) application. 
  • Fill out the application form accurately.  
  • Attach the required documents to your online application. 
  • Pay the application fee. 

Please note that you should apply for a 590 visa at least six weeks prior to the commencement of the student’s course as the visa processing time for this visa is quite lengthy.  

Step 3: Wait for the visa outcome

  • Depending on your nationality and personal circumstances, you may need to provide biometrics as part of the application process.  
  • The Department of Home Affairs also may require you to complete health examinations after you lodge your visa application.  
  • If your visa is approved, you will receive a visa grant notification with details of your visa grant number, the expiry dates and visa conditions. 

Need help with the visa application? Contact our experienced Migration Agents today!  

How much does it cost to apply for a Student Guardian Visa 590?  

Student Guardian Charge  Subsequent Temporary Application Charge 
710  700 


What is the visa 590 processing time?

The processing time for a 590 visa varies depending on your circumstances. However, generally it takes quite long time to be processed. 90% of the 590 visa applications are assessed in 115 days. Therefore, it is advisable that you should well prepare all the required documents to avoid any delay because of the lack of documentation.  

Can I work while holding the Student Guardian Visa 590?

No. Unfortunately, you are not allowed to work under Student Guardian visa 590. Therefore, it is essential to ensure you have sufficient financial resources to support your living expenses while in Australia. 

Can I study in Australia on a 590 visa?

You can undertake short courses or study for up to three months on a Student Guardian Visa, but you cannot pursue any courses that lead to a formal qualification. In particular, you can study English courses in Australia for less than 20 hours per week or study other training courses no longer than 3 months.  

How long is the Student Guardian Visa 500 valid for?

The visa duration is typically aligned with the student’s course duration. If the student is under 18, the visa may be granted until the student turns 18 years old. 

Can other family members accompany me on a 590 visa?

The 590 visa is primarily for guardians. If other family members, such as a spouse or children, wish to accompany you, they may need to apply for their own visas based on their eligibility. For example, your children can apply for a student visa and your spouse can apply for a Visitor visa or a Temporary Work (Short Stay Specialist) visa.  

Can both parents apply for Australia student guardian visa 590?

No, generally, both parents cannot apply for an Australia Student Guardian Visa (Subclass 590) for the same student. This visa category is typically designed for one parent or legal guardian, or in some exceptional circumstances, a relative, to provide support and care to an international student studying in Australia. 

Each student can have only one Student Guardian Visa holder acting as his/her guardian. It’s essential to ensure the guardian who applies for this visa meets the eligibility criteria and is in the best position to support the student’s needs. 

If both parents or legal guardians wish to be with their child in Australia while they study, they may consider alternative visa options, such as a Visitor Visa or a Temporary Work (Short Stay Specialist) Visa if they have employment opportunities or specific qualifications.  

What is the 590-visa condition? 

The Student Guardian Visa (Subclass 590) in Australia comes with various conditions that visa holders are required to abide by. These conditions will be outlined on the visa grant notice that the Department of Home Affairs will send you. The visa conditions may slightly differ between cases, but below are the conditions that might be included in your visa:  

  • 8101: No work in Australia  
  • 8106: Work limit. In some exceptional cases, you can work but it needs to be relevant to the business/tasks you outlined in your visa application.  
  • 8201: Maximum 3 months study  
  • 8501: Maintain health insurance for your entire duration in Australia  
  • 8502: Not arrive in Australia before the student/s specified in the visa enters Australia 
  • 8516: You must continue to meet the criteria for the grant of your visa  
  • 8534: No further stay in Australia after your visa expires.  
  • 8537: Live with the student/s and provide them with accommodation, welfare and care  
  • 8538: Can’t leave Australia without the student. If you wish to leave without student, you must have approval from Department of Home Affairs  

Can I extend my Student Guardian Visa in Australia?

Yes, you may be able to apply for a further Student Guardian Visa, and the duration of your extended stay may depend on the student’s age and the length of their education.  

How can SOL Migration assist you in gaining a Student Guardian Visa 590?

SOL Migration has a strong team of 5 experienced Registered Migration Agents. Our Registered Migration Agents will assess your eligibility and guide you through the process of applying for the visas you require. We will assist you in preparing all the relevant documents for your application. 

Contact us today on 07 3003 1899 or fill out the enquiry form. Our team will contact you within 24 hours at the latest!  

Book a consultation to discuss your visa options

Get in touch with us today and lets us help you with your visa options

Book Now