Skip to main content

It is always exciting to see new graduates completing their programs this time of year. That feeling where all your hard work has paid off is great, isn’t it?

For those of you that wants to stay in Australia and not to return to your home country just yet, you may be interested in applying for a visa to staying in Australia permanently, or at least to a longer stay. This would allow you to pursue further studies or to work here to gain more job experiences.

Here are some options which you can opt for if you fit in those categories.

  • Undergraduate Course: Post Graduate

If you have just recently graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree, which is an undergraduate program, you may want to start thinking about Postgraduate Degrees to have better competitive advantages over your fellow graduates.

  • Post Graduate Course: Doctoral 

For those that have completed a Postgraduate Degree, first off, congratulations. This is truly an accomplishments to be proud of. If you are thinking about a career in research, you may want to consider a Doctoral. Each university has a slightly different procedure for PhD applications, so you should check with the universities that you are interested in or come talk to us and let us find the answers for you.

  • 485 Temporary Graudate Visa

Alternatively, you may want to gain some work experiences before this. A 485 Temporary Graduate visa allows you to work in Australia for 2 years if you fulfill their requirements.

However, you should note that there are 2 streams in this subclass:


  • Graduate Work Stream – This is for overseas students who have studied in the past 6 months are skilled in the list of occupations identified by the government. The visa is valid for 18 months and has unrestricted work and study conditions.
  • Post-Study Work Visa – This is for overseas students who have certain qualifications in Australia and studied in the past 6 months. For example, the visa is valid for:
    • 2 years for students who complete a Bachelor degree (including honours) or Masters by Coursework degree or Masters (extended) degree;
    • 3 years for students who complete a Masters by Research degree;
    • 4 years for students who complete a Doctoral degree. This visa has unrestricted work and study conditions.
  • Required Documents – The two streams require slightly different documents but the main documents that will be used for both are:
    • Personal Documents (Certified copy of your current passports, birth certificate, Two recent passport-sized photographs,
    • Evidence that you have an adequate health insurance.
    • The AFP National Police Check
    • The results of a specified English language test (IELTS, Occupational English Test (OET), Pearson Test of English Academic, or TOEFL iBT)
    • The Australian study requirement (Completion letters and course transcripts). The result has to be no longer than 3 years before your lodging your application.

Regardless of what category of graduate you are in, whether you are absolutely sure of what your next steps need to be or if you are looking to see all the options before making a decision, we can help summarise the information that fits your situation and assist you to make the most fitting choice for your future. Our professional staff will also help you lodge your application at a reasonable price so you do not have to worry about any hassle that comes with it.

You can contact us in the form below if you have any questions about Australian visa.